Monday 16 November 2009

BFPO Europe




Remember this post when I raged about the Westminster government intending to abolish BFPO facilities in mainland Europe from next year? Along with All Seeing Eye (who has written a splendid post giving updated information), I'm been watching the Number 10 Petitions and the signatures presently number 49,277. Could I please ask you, if you haven't signed it already, to spare time to do so here. This postal link between families serving overseas and home is important to all concerned.

On the subject of Number 10 Petitions, I'd like to draw your attention to one (now closed) in which the petitioner asked "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to change the rules regarding Ramp Ceremonies for HM Forces Personnel killed in an act of terror, while in the Service of Her Majesty the Queen."

This petition was in response to the two bodies of the soldiers, flown home without ceremony, who were murdered in Northern Ireland earlier this year. Their bodies were shipped back to the UK as freight. The petitioners were told that the soldiers were not allowed to have a ramp service because of political reasons. They were also told the Government didn't want anything that would look like the Troubles had restarted.

Read the government's response here. An example of two wrongs not making a right and Gordon Brown's lack of compassion for military families.

9 comments:

All Seeing Eye said...

Thanks for the link, Subrosa. It'd be great if a bit of blogger impetus could push the petition over the 50,000 mark. Whilst I'm skeptical that the No10 petitions actually influence much/anything on their own it would be a boost to the Service organisations who are fighting this.

subrosa said...

I'm sure a few of my readers, who haven't signed already, will do so ASE.

Thank you for the link too. Between us we may just push it there or nearly there.

Great Big Billygoat Gruff said...

I have voted 3 times.

It was easy.

I took my inspiration from my dead Granny who voted Labour in Glasgow NE last Thursday, as she has done for the last 50+ years even though she has been dead at least that time.

She is interred in St Rollox Cemetery, which is within the parliamentary boundary.

I think she was also a Spiritualist.

Oldrightie said...

I see today our Jim is planning a conference to discuss an Afghan exit strategy. Such hypocrisy. Still if people power and an imminent election saves lives, so be it!

subrosa said...

Thank you Billy and my gratitude to your long dead granny also for providing her grandson with such inspired thinking.

subrosa said...

Oh OR, I haven't read that. Must have a look at the papers.

The US too is getting twitchy. They can't afford this war and don't have the extra personnel to send. Other countries in Nato are planning withdrawals so Brown is going to be left all alone waiting for Obama's instructions.

Great Big Billygoat Gruff said...

I often wonder which way my old Granny went, these 50+ years ago.

Do they frank postal votes?

Could I ask to see the register?

subrosa said...

I believe there's a short timeline on keeping registers Billy.

It has been said that if the opposition can't find the fiddles after 2 years, then they were a resounding success. Thereafter the registers are destroyed.

Great Big Billygoat Gruff said...

I'll write to Mr Brown and ask him to find the postmark for my Granny's postal vote.

Related Posts with Thumbnails