Sunday 31 May 2009

Scottish Forestry Commission to Sell off £50m of Scotland's Woodlands



The Sunday Herald reports the Forestry Commission is preparing for a dramatic escalation in sales of woodlands to the private sector after the failure of the SNP government's controversial proposals to lease up to 25% of the Scottish estate.

One of the organisation's leading land agents, John Clegg, said the Forestry Commission has identified no fewer than 37 properties for sale in the next 12 months, covering a total of 22,000 hectares in an enhanced "repositioning" programme.

Industry experts said the sales could raise more than £50 million, triple the official target figure set for land sales, although there are some concerns that the scale of sell-offs could have an impact on valuations.

But the news does not seem to have percolated down to all levels at the Forestry Commission and a spokesman denied last week that there was any increase on it's published plans to sell 5000 to 6000 hectares this year.

Under guidelines, community organisations have the first rights on any sales, followed by environmental groups such as the RSPB.

I must be missing something here because I thought the Scottish government had halted the sale of vast swathes of Forestry Commission land to private owners.  All these people who protested initially must be wondering if it was all worth it.

16 comments:

brownlie said...

subrosa,

Don't know enough about this to comment - although that's never stopped me before. I'm only posting this as a get-well soon card. If I've got time later I'll pop along to kiss it better and make you a nice meal!

subrosa said...

Aw thanks Brownlie. It's my umpty-tumpht birthday today and I was tripping off for a couple of days R & R but it's postponed. No point if I can't see my food is there? :) Actually I can see reasonably well today so I'm nearly mended. The wonders of medicine .

But, I'm off out for a quiet dinner in a place which will tolerate my dribbling so will be lovely I'm sure.

It's an interesting business this forestry matter. Like you I'll look into it later.

Enjoy the sunshine.

Conan the Librarian™ said...

Happy Birthday and get well soon subrosa XXX

brownlie said...

God bless you on your birthday
and Cupid with his dart
enjoy life's oh so precious things
and still stay young at heart
for age is just a state of mind
and life can be such fun
and you still know how to party
as much as anyone!

subrosa said...

Wow Brownlie, did you used to work for the old Valentines? You know the Dundee card maker.

Thank you so much and I shall enjoy myself thoroughly.

subrosa said...

Auch Conan, thank you. It's a shame people have had to be messed around but I'll be able to celebrate twice eh? xxx

brownlie said...

subrosa,

No, Peoples Friend, I'm Gay Francis in my spare time.

CrazyDaisy said...

Ruth,

Bon Compleanno amore!

Complementi!

Crazy D

Anonymous said...

Happy 41st Subrosa, hope your eye gets better xxx

subrosa said...

How did you know I was going backwards with my age Spook? Right enough I was 42 last year and thank you young man for your greetings. So much appreciated xxx

subrosa said...

Grazie CD, and many of them (I don't have a clue how to say many many thanks in Italian, German is my second language and I find Italian and Spanish difficult).

Mucho appreciado as they say over this way though xxx

subrosa said...

Thank you Francis. I so admire your ability to keep a column running for, is it around 70 years now? Well done you and long may yer pen hit the 'write' letters.

PS Don't you think it's time you retired?

McGonagall said...

WTF is "an enhanced repositioning programme."?

This is very disappointing.

subrosa said...

Morning scunnert. I'm really pleased you asked that question because I didn't have a clue either.

Anyone know?

Conan the Librarian™ said...

The last page of the Kama Sutra perhaps?

subrosa said...

Conan, I don't have a copy here - well not anymore ;) Do tell me the content.

Related Posts with Thumbnails