Saturday 30 May 2009

Interesting Post from Lesley Riddoch



Forgive me for the laziness in doing a cut and paste but it's all I can manage today.  The following is on Lesley's Another Side of Lesley Riddoch and I found it interesting.  Take note about Iain Dale!

Hobbling around after an energetic dance session at the Orkney Folk Festival it appears I have a medial ligament strain. Having not to move is a bit tough – though the prospect of messing up a summer of cycling on Norway's Arctic coast is enough to encourage me to SIT DOWN!

The European Hustings we recorded in Glasgow's Hillhead Library on Thursday night was fascinating. Try as they might the candidates couldn't manage to make Europe sound other than what it is. A collection of wildly differing states who rarely agree on anything with fairly ludicruous practices all seem powerless to change.

A good suggestion came from the audience – why don't all new British Euro MPs combine forces to call for an end to the monthly pointless trek from Brussels to Strasbourg? This is an absolute waste of time and money designed only to salve French fury at the decision to build the EU's HQ in Belgium more than thirty years ago. Anyway, although the BBC cancelled its scheduled broadcast in the Riddoch Questions slot on Friday, the edited hustings is being played several times this weekend by Celtic Music Radio, community radio and hospital radio around Scotland. So to anyone lying with their leg in a sling hearing lively debate over the future of the European Convention of Human Rights instead of S Club 7 – sorry. Check out the whole prog over at lesleyriddoch.com

Talking of French fury, I thought I was about to have my second walkout ever yesterday when Tory blogger Iain Dale warned he'd hang up his Skype headset and leave the programme if he was interrupted any more whilst speaking. It seems an emailer contacted the bold Iain and told him not to be so pompous. Happily, Mr Dale was big enough to share the email contents himself and appeared to relax into the rather more "robust" atmosphere that Scottish contributors and this presenter habitually create!

Meanwhile, thanks to respondents for their kind words about the imminent demise of Riddoch Questions. Maybe folk would like to suggest what we should do for the last one on July 31st? The first programme started with Alex Salmond two days after his election victory in 2007. Maybe we should ask him back???


9 comments:

Goodnight Vienna said...

I've nothing to add to Scottish politics SR since I'm no further forward than I was two months ago but I do hope you soon recover and get back to your normal self.

McGonagall said...

"Forgive me for the laziness in doing a cut and paste but it's all I can manage today."

Cut N Paste is my standard procedure Subrosa :0) But you do it so much better.

Aye - the EU - a corporate conspiracy that'll end in tears.

subrosa said...

Thank you GV, I'm sure it's improving as I can look at the screen now for a while.

subrosa said...

Scunnert, why does nobody mention pulling out of the EU and going for the Council of Europe instead like the Swiss, Scandanavians etc?

subrosa said...

Scunnert, didn't you like my doggy cartoons? :)

Administrator said...

Interestingly another side of Iain Dale.


Comments

Lesley, enjoyed the programme. Sorry for the flounce, but when you are on Skype you are at a disadvantage and it seemed that every time I opened my mouth I was getting interrupted. And that wasn't happening to the other two guests. But I made my point and it then progressed smoothly!

Posted by: Iain Dale | May 30, 2009 at 03:19 PM

Iain, fair comment. We so rarely get big beasts of the Tory jungle on Radio Scotland programmes post devolution, perhaps we do gang up. I'm delighted you were at home on Skype -- its the only reason the emailer reached you. In a "normal" BBC studio that wouldnt have happened. All studio communication is geared towards the presenter not the guests. When broadband speeds improve to make VOIP lines stronger, we'll have completely different radio. Meantime many thanks for a great contribution to the prog.

subrosa said...

Thanks for that Monty. Interesting though that he couldn't cope with the Scottish audience and Lesley certainly stimulates debate doesn't she?

I actually liked the fact that someone called him pompous!!

Skype can be difficult but surely he's used to it by now. I use it for conference talks a lot and nobody, as yet, has said they're going because others talk over them.

McGonagall said...

Subrosa - political parties collude to freeze out certain items for debate. Have you noticed that? Some items are just not up for discussion.

Your cartoons were great Subrosa. I just haven't had time the last few days to do much posting. I always read your stuff even if I don't respond with a post.

subrosa said...

Hi scunnert, auch I know you read my ramblings, was just feeling kind of irritated with myself last night because of this inability to see well, but I counted my blessings overnight and I'm one of the lucky ones believe me.

Aye they all collude scunnert, SNP included. I could tell you some stories... but then I'd have to kill you :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails