Thursday 12 February 2009

A PICTURE of DOUR IAIN GRAY: a WILDE TALE



Just couldn't resist this post on Blether with Brian.  My thanks to forfar-loon.

The Picture of Dour Iain Gray: a Wilde tale 

Once upon a time there lived a fine young man by the name of Iain Gray. A keen student in his day, and blessed with a social conscience, he decided to impart some of his learnings to the younger generation, even travelling to far off lands to educate the poor children there.

Then one day Iain fell in with the wrong crowd and heard of an exciting new idea: the only thing worth pursuing in life was 
duty. Now, young Iain was a most dutiful young man, and he set to work, dourly focussing all his efforts on doing his particular duty, namely to obey all diktats from his Labour overlords without question. Other considerations, such as 'Is this good for Scotland as opposed to Labour?', soon disappeared from his mind altogether.

Dour Iain Gray blundered on, his meek obeisance earning him favour among his masters. With each errand run Dour Iain became ever more intoxicated with his own duty. 

In contradistinction (just for you Brian!), the picture the electorate had of him grew ever more hideous. Nakedly self-serving, spiteful, bilious, intellectually anorexic - these were some of the more printable opinions that were forming.

And there dear reader, we must leave Dour Iain. Blind to the damage his dutiful nature causes him, he is to be pitied rather than disliked.

Eventually Dour Iain will be confronted by the grim picture he has painted of himself, and we can only hope that he retains conscience enough to regret his foolish actions.

8 comments:

brownlie said...

Beautifully thought out - not just a pretty face -Oscar would be proud of you!!

subrosa said...

I didn't write it sadly. I copied it from a post on Blether with Brian. Says that at the beginning. Too much of the gold stuff? ;-)

brownlie said...

subrosa,

Yes, see it now. I got distracted by the picture at the top of the page!!

subrosa said...

Distracted brownlie? Yer awfy easily distracted!!

Conan the Librarian™ said...

Hmm. Perhaps an electronic drawing of an knife stabbing his electronic picture would realease this poor soul from his self-imposed purgatory...?

Computer voodoo for good, ;-)

subrosa said...

Conan, it took me 6 hours to make my wee Subrosa's Super Seven blog thingie! I don't have photoshop as I have to buy it and any graphic software for a Mac.

But I do know what you mean :-)

dprowlands said...

Belated thanks for the compliment subrosa! Head over to forfar-loon's brigadoon for more nonsense. The link only just got cleared on Blether with Brian, so I'm behaving myself just for a wee while in the hope that some bletherers will stop by.

Keep up the good work!

subrosa said...

Jings that's taken a while forfar-loon, I thought I'd lost a month there when I saw your post on my reader :)

I shall go and visit your blog immediately.

You'll notice your Wilde Tale was well received.

Related Posts with Thumbnails