Saturday, 20 February 2010

Free Laptops Supplier Withdraws



Remember Gordon Brown's announcement that school children from poorer backgrounds are to be given free laptops?  Broadband to 270,00 families was also included.

Now it's been announced that one of the country's largest computer suppliers to schools has become the first casualty of the scheme.  RM Education has exited the Home Access Programme with little explanation from government.  RM and Becta the government agency responsible for administering the scheme, appear to have failed to agree terms.

It's understood that RM's place in the scheme has now been given to PC retailer Comet.

RM's withdrawal calls the success of the Home Access Programme into question.  Tory MP Mark Pritchard said earlier this week that some of the free laptops received by families are not being used and are perhaps being sold for cash.

Another labour success.

source

6 comments:

muddypaws said...

Home Access is all good and well, but ......

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/02/18/Eyes.pdf


http://www.infowars.net/articles/february2010/180210Students.htm


I don't think that this is quite what these parents had in mind.

subrosa said...

I read about that just a short time ago muddypaws. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it happened here, would it you?

Tory Totty Online said...

Very interesting. Does this mean it's been scrapped? Or hasn't it got off the ground yet? V. interesting to find out

subrosa said...

It seems Comet has taken over TT. Maybe they will put software is so as the cams can record all, as happened in the US recently.

Crinkly & Ragged Arsed Philosophers said...

Rosa,I remember your previous post on this and thought it was a wind up!

subrosa said...

Now now RA, would I wind you up? ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails