Wednesday 26 August 2009

Paxman in the Hotseat



Jeremy Paxman is performing at the Edinburgh Festival. His programme is a 45 minute talk (excellent value at £9), about the Victorians and their art, the subject of his much hyped recent book. I must pay more attention because I wasn't aware he had a book published recently.

Back to the story. After his 45 minute talk Paxman (Paxo to his friends), made the schoolboy error of opening the subject to the floor, at which point he became the subject of rather more probing than he would have liked.

The audience were considerably more interested in whether or not the Newsnight host would do what the Prime Minister had (at the time) so strenuously avoided and offer an opinion on the release of the Lockerbie bomber, al-Megrahi.

"I have strong views on this subject, but I'm not going to tell you what they are." he retorted when the matter was raised. Evasion wasn't so easy though and the questions kept coming.

"Why should I answer the question?" he snapped eventually. "I know what will happen. One of your august journalists will write this up and I'll be in the poo again."

Life isn't so easy on the other side of the question mark is it?

2 comments:

CrazyDaisy said...

SR,

I'm not a fan of his, another pleb who's overpaid and over opinionated. You'd never think his great great granny came from a Glesga Workhoose.

Nice to see him sweat again.

Must have been enormously enjoyable watching him squirm. If you can take it you shouldn't give it eh?!

Dreich today!

Crazy D

subrosa said...

Sunny today CD :)

I find him pompous and to think people would pay £9 to listen to him promoting his book!

They need their bumps feeling.

Related Posts with Thumbnails