Thursday 27 August 2009

Love It or Hate It, It's Scrapped



Love it or hate it, and there are plenty in both camps, Big Brother is to be no longer on our screens from next year.

This was the show which created the modern celebrity culture and aroused a seemingly insatiable public appetite for the minutiae of people's lives. It even created an assortment of cheap weekly magazines.

It introduced the term 'reality TV' to common speech and was the forerunner to other reality TV shows such as I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here and the BBC's Apprentice.

After a decade of gracing (or disgracing) or TV screens Big Brother has finally been shown the door. Next year's series, which Channel 4 is contractually obliged to make, will be the broadcaster's 11th and last.

I feel one of my prayers have been answered at last. In all these years I think I've watched it twice and that was once too often. Last night I was tempted to have a glass of something fizzy to celebrate the news but I'll wait until the last episode fades from my screen into oblivion where it belongs.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails