Thursday 30 July 2009

Total Politics Top 10 Blogs


TOTAL POLITICS TOP 10 BLOGS

It was my choice not to become involved in Iain Dale's Total Politics 10 Best Blogs voting for reasons, with the exception of one, which have no importance to this post, but I now feel I should perhaps have posted this fact. It is only in the past day or two I've realised how important this accolade is to some.

A week or two ago I did comment, on one Scottish blog, I had opted out and true to form, the word spread round a certain sector of the Scottish political blogosphere. It didn't reach all bloggers though and it is to those I offer my sincerest apologies. It was certainly not my intention to upset anyone I assure you.

Wikio provide a technical and accurate account of the popularity of blogs (the best system according to my geek friend who designed my blog banner) and I am content to be assessed in this way. Until I read this post I had no idea I had achieved such a high rating last month but was really delighted to know it. It won't happen again!

It's well known that I am of very limited technical ability but my blog is all my own work. Statistics are of little importance to me, although I do take note occasionally - mainly to ensure people still visit. A great deal of my motivation comes from my readers and I am very proud they enjoy reading and contributing to what is, at times, strong, informed debate. Of course my blog is not to everyone's taste but it is mine; designed in a magazine style where visitors know they won't find in-depth analysis in many posts or long essays, but short posts which draw attention to a subject or event.

So to those in the testosterone-fueled Scottish blogosphere I do hope the results fulfil your wishes and to the female Scottish bloggers please keep going because not only are you all exceptionally good, it's essential to have women's views of the world.

Once again I apologise to any of my readers, from anywhere in the UK, who may feel they have wasted a vote. Please forgive me.

PS Yes, I did submit a Top Ten but I have no intention of publishing it.

13 comments:

Events dear boy, events said...

Well said and well put.

Lallands Peat Worrier said...

I agree entirely on your point about women. It is curious how ostensibly male-dominated the politically discoursing Scots blogs are.

I can assure you, however, subrosa, that personally I try to avoid becoming hideously testosterone determined, despite my biological limitations!

Anonymous said...

Well done Subrosa, good rankings for your blog. I have been reading some of the top ten blog posts on other blogs, ie, Yapping, Jeffs etc.

I agree with Caron on the links bit, im not sure that is the best way to rank a blog but if it were on range of interesting topics then i think your blog would have been ranked even higher, ie at least in the top 30.

Mind you hen, your ranked better than the " high brow one " good for you for flying the flag for Scotland and not sucking up to the dark side x

Anonymous said...

Lallands Peat Worrier said...
I agree entirely on your point about women. It is curious how ostensibly male-dominated the politically discoursing Scots blogs are.
.................

Im not sure about that, if you read some of the content in some of they Scots unionists blogs then you would be forgiven in thinking they were written by some tyranicle fish wifes high on persil automatic reading a Wendy Alexander lament of Goerge Foulkes.

subrosa said...

Thank you Howard. :)

subrosa said...

LPW, I would never dream of accusing you of being testosterone determined. You know I greatly enjoy your posts and the patience you show when I fail to understand something.

Events dear boy, events said...

I could say more about these statistics but it would be for your eyes only and not for public view.

One point. Do not rely on Google Analytics. They do not include people like me who view blogs, including yours, through RSS feeds such us Google Reader, but only people who visit your site.

subrosa said...

Spook, you're supposed to be slowly recovering from your adventures! Wikio does do the whole of the UK Spook so to get in the top 100 for a Scottish blog is an achievement (so my geeky friend says and he knows all about stats he insists lol).

I'm very lucky because my readers come from all over and further :)

Now off you go and get your washing done; that is if you've unpacked your suitcase. All this rushing off to training as soon as your feet hit the ground. I don't know lol

subrosa said...

Howard email me if/when you have time. I would like to hear your opinion.

Anonymous said...

Subrosa..

I ken wiko does the rankings for the whole UK and for this it stands your blog in even better stead. Its just the way they do the rankings that i think is a bit unfair for some bloggers becouse they dont always have links etc.

lol, ive not unpacked yet, to much to do on my footy site. lots of gossip on transfers and stuff.

subrosa said...

Ah I get what you mean Spook, sorry. It must be because I'm half asleep and certainly not because I'm getting to the stage that I need everything repeated before I understand.

Don't reply to this. ;)

RantinRab said...

Am I missing something, of have you told Total Politics that you want to 'opt out'?

As for Wikio rankings, I'm not convinced at all. Not that i care much. Perhaps a better ranking system could work around number of comments per post?

subrosa said...

Yes Rab I've told them I opt out. Really sorry if you didn't know. Obviously word didn't reach you either.

I'm clueless about Wikio etc Rab but it was my computer geek pal (who isn't a blogger) who suggested them. He's more interested than me I assure you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails