Tuesday 14 July 2009

Donald MacCormick 1939-2009



Donald MacCormick, a former BBC Newsnight anchorman, has died after suffering a heart attack. He was at the helm of Newnight throughout the 1980s and his soft Scottish accent fooled many into thinking he would have a soft interviewing style.

Tim Gardam, former BBC Newsnight editor paid this tribute to Mr MacCormick.

"Donald was always focused on ensuring the programme aired with calm authority. His political interviews were as insistent as they were courteous. He had a sharp eye for the pressure points in politics and the tussles for power in the Palace of Westminster.

"Whenever he was anchoring Newsnight one knew that whatever the pressure of events behind the screen, none would be evident on screen. Once the programme was over he was tremendous company, with a dry and engaging wit."


5 comments:

Jim Baxter said...

Wtached him just the other month with his commnetary on the 1979 election. A professional - unlike some of his self-obsessed succesors that I could name.

subrosa said...

I would say very few in the BBC could even hope to reach his standards. He's of a era quickly passing Jim. Makes me aware of my own age.

banned said...

O/T. Subrosa, you will remember the sorry recent case of the teacher "allegedly" attempting to murder a schoolboy ?
I've been wating for a response from the teaching profession and finally 'Frank Chalk' ( my fav. teacher blogger ) has come up with one.
Frank Chalk, teacher in the frontline

I only mention it here because your Blog might reach some of those who care, unlike mine.

If you consider this intervention innapropriate please feel free to delete it.

Conan the Librarian™ said...

I too have suffered the stress of teenagers Banned.I no longer reason or talk to them after the first warning.
I merely phone the police, and watch their braggadocio slowly crumble as they edge to the door.
I don't think teachers have that recourse unfortunately.
Sorry to hijack your post on Donald subrosa, I'd do a post on this myself, but I don't think my blood-pressure would take it;¬)

subrosa said...

Conan, you can highjack any post of mine you wish.

No banned I don't mind any link which inform more people. I'm about to look at yours myself.

Related Posts with Thumbnails