Friday 15 May 2009

Starved of Care


Twenty one years ago my father was dying of prostate cancer.  He was taken twice to Ninewells Hospital, Dundee for radiotherapy treatment which I was assured would reduce his pain and I was most grateful for any help he could get to lessen his horrific suffering.  He was bed-bound and lay on a specially designed mattress.  But he was starved because staff placed his food trays out of reach and he was unable to raise himself.  Fortunately I noticed this on his second day and made arrangements with friends that one of us would be there every mealtime to ensure he had nourishment.

At the time I didn't make a formal complaint but regularly complained to staff who shrugged their shoulders and said they didn't have enough nurses to attend to individual feeding.

I'm telling you this because twenty one years later the problem continues and hospital patients are still dying of malnutrition.  Scottish government statistics showed 1,884 people were diagnosed with malnutrition in 2008 and 110 people died from the condition, more than double the figure of ten years ago. Nicola Sturgeon admits it could be more because the figures do not include deaths from malnutrition in care homes.

It can be difficult to identify a case of malnutrition if a person is at home, but when a person is a hospital patient and the condition has been diagnosed, medical staff should ensure that proper treatment is given and help with food available if needed.

Are we shocked at these figures?  I'm not, they don't surprise me in the least. In my local hospital the only breakfast offered is cereal and/or bread.  Even a boiled egg is out of the question unless your doctor has prescribed it.  For the elderly who don't have family or friends able to be there at mealtimes or to bring in a tasty sandwich, managing to eat enough to keep themselves nourished is still a lottery.  Why have the basics of nursing nearly vanished?  I mean the physical nursing of helping patients.  This is a disgrace which should not exist in today's Scotland and must be corrected immediately.

9 comments:

CrazyDaisy said...

SR,

My Great Great Great Auntie is in care (as ye ken!) and she looks forward to her food, it's the highlight of her day when no visitors come to see her.

She looks well for 90 and loves her broth, Ninewells could do much better as could Ms Sturgeon on behalf os Scotland but there's 2 years yet to go!

CD

subrosa said...

Ninewells I don't know too much about these days CD but Perth Royal Infirmary's food is really third rate. I'm lucky because I have food brought in for me but many people don't. What struck me first time I was in a couple of years ago was the beverage trolley only came round 3 times a day and for hours on end on water was not available.

There was a one of these big fresh drinking water machines - tucked away round by the staff offices where patients were forbidden.

Good for your aunty, seems like you'll live for another 50 years then :)

The Big Dollop said...

Rosa ,

Due to work commitments and the fact that my mother suffered & strokes in 2007/ 08 , my siblings and I decided it would be prudent to place my father in a care home as he suffers from dementia and his shenanigans for the want of a better word were getting too much for my mother to cope with when we were out trying to earn a living.

The home where my father now resides is not the kind of place he would have ever envisaged living out his dotage but I am content to know that he is a happy soul (within his own wee world) and being looked after as best as the situation affords.

We as a family have noticed that he has lost considerable weight since being admitted in June of last year.

when we go visit he tends to eat every thing we give him in one go.

We just thought he had developed a sweet tooth but reading you post I wonder if there could be some under lying problems which we as a family are unaware off.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention

Oldrightie said...

The NHS is top heavy with expense claimants and Labour placements on a squillion quid a year.
Mind you isn't Jimmy's massive "investment" working wonders?

subrosa said...

BD, try popping in at mealtimes just to see what he gets. They'll say 'you can't do that' well tell them you can. It's worth a look. I remember a care home in which I did some voluntary work. Tea was at 5pm and just sandwiches and one packed of Rich Tea biscuits were left out in the kitchen to be handed round with the last cup of tea around 8pm. There were 50+ folk in the home!

Hope I've not put the wind up you because I'd hate to think you're upset.

Anonymous said...

Ironically, you're not even allowed to end your life when you're too ill to manage for yourself and too expensive for the state to bother feeding.

Sickening.

I'll make sure there's enough money in my account to pay for air an fare to Switzerland and money to cover the drugs.

subrosa said...

I've a wee agreement with the family tris. It involves my own house, a polly bag and a bottle of something.

Anonymous said...

Cheaper than Switzerland then Subrosa. Well done!

subrosa said...

Tris, much as I love Switzerland, the wellbeing of my family comes first. I would hate them to have the embarrassment of my visit to Switzerland being publicised.

Related Posts with Thumbnails