Sunday 10 February 2013

Sunday Morning Music

Which performance of this song from Caruso do you prefer? (Translation below).

 







 Here, where the sea shines
and the wind howls,
on the old terrace beside the gulf of Sorrento,
a man embraces a girl
he wept after,
then clears his throat and continues the song:

I love you very much,
very, very much, you know;
it is a chain by now
that melts the blood inside the veins, you know…

He saw the lights out on the sea,
thought of the nights there in America, 
but they were only the fishermen’s lamps
and the white wash astern.
He felt the pain in the music
and stood up from the piano,
but when he saw the moon emerging from a cloud
death also seemed sweeter to him. 
He looked the girl in the eyes,
those eyes as green as the sea.
Then suddenly a tear fell
and he believed he was drowning.

I love you very much,
very, very much, you know,
it is a chain by now
that melts the blood inside the vein you know…

3 comments:

WitteringsfromWitney said...

SR, Long time no speak (and entirely my fault, I know).

Hows about Tito Beltran? Heard of him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BEbz-nl3-Q

Of Swedish/Chilean birth the silly man went and blotted his copy book in 2008 getting 2 and a half years jail for rape.

What a loss of a great voice........

subrosa said...

I must admit I'm not too keen on his voice WfW. Too strained at times.

Yes I had heard of him and of course his stupidity.

WitteringsfromWitney said...

Interesting response. That recording is, I have to admit, not brilliant and I have a recording on cd (forget the origin) that is many, many times better (of studio base?)

You mention his voice is "strained", but is that not a result of the "passion" that is required in singing this piece? Is it not a passionate song?

At the end of the day I suppose it comes down to personal taste, one's interpretation of the performer and one's "ear".

Just being "argumentative", as usual...:) x

Related Posts with Thumbnails