Sunday 15 January 2012

Sunday Smile


May I thank Eoin Taylor for allowing me to publish the Pale Horse on Sunday evenings over the past weeks.  However every story must have an ending or no book would ever be published.

The following story (received by email) tickled me.  Perhaps it's because these days there are so many machines and gadgets around to do the jobs people used to do.

A young engineer was leaving the office at 5.45pm when he found the CEO standing in front of a shredder with a piece of paper in his hand.


"Listen," said the CEO, "this is a very sensitive and important document and my secretary's not here. Can you make this thing work?'


"Certainly," said the young engineer.  He turned on the machine, inserted the paper and pressed the start button.


"Excellent, excellent!" said the CEO as his paper disappeared inside the machine. "I just need one copy."


Lesson:  Never, never, ever assume your boss knows what he's doing.

10 comments:

Brian said...

One boss of mine, standing by the photocopier, was struggling to remove a staple in order to remove a page, doing her long nails harm. She asked me if I had "one of those things for getting staplesout", "An AA?" I asked jokingly as I reached in my drawer for a lobster claw.(Admin Assistant being the lowest grade in the pen-pushing Civil Service). I learned two things: She started as an AA and you don't need a sense of humour to get on.

Joe Public said...

"Lesson: Never, never, ever assume your boss knows what he's doing."

At the other end of the scale..............

subrosa said...

Have to admit I learned quite early in my working life that you don't have to have a sense of humour to get on Brian.

Did she fail the junior exec exams then?

subrosa said...

Brilliant Joe!

Brian said...

Rosie, the EO exam required A levels which she lacked leaving school at 16. She was very bossy and excellent at delegating blame which more than made up for her talent deficit in other areas.

subrosa said...

Brian, I remember sitting the junior EO exams (3 days worth) in Dundee in 1959 I think it was. Father said they gave a better assessment of abilities than highers or lowers.

cynicalHighlander said...

Ha ha Joe Microsoft Word.

subrosa said...

Another good one CH! Many thanks.

J. R. Tomlin said...

Haha! Great one, Rosie. Made me spit my coffee.

subrosa said...

Bit of much needed light relief Jeanne.

Related Posts with Thumbnails