Thursday 20 October 2011

Redefining Stupid



In Greater Manchester there is a town called Chadderton. At sometime in my life I've perhaps driven through it but it's not somewhere I remember distinctly.

This week Oldham Council workers erected a new sign 'Welcome to Chadderton' and a local council tax payer noticed - and photographed - their achievement.

A spokesman for Oldham Council said, "A genuine error was made by staff."  The mistake was so 'genuine' that the workers didn't even notice and it wasn't corrected until the council was informed next day.

Unbelievable.

source

10 comments:

Dean MacKinnon-Thomson said...

I remember seeing this on the beeb, very strange. But lets be fair, stranger things have happened!

... just how the staff putting it up didn't notice is beyond me however. Surely this is grounds for an internal disciplinary for those involved?

subrosa said...

Of course stranger things have happened, but it would have taken at least 2 men perhaps the best part of a couple of hours to do this Dean.

I can understand why council tax payers in the area are angry.

Dean MacKinnon-Thomson said...

As I say, I hope to hear about some disciplinary procedures.

JRB said...

Subrosa – they’re English – you have to make allowances. :)

subrosa said...

I think you may well have to live in hope Dean.

subrosa said...

Of course JRB, of course. :)

Joe Public said...

Please have some sympathy for the guys (I presume they were male!) who erected the sign.

All the fixings are at the back.

The fault obviously lies with the Council's Buyer, who because of constraints on his budget, decided not to purchase the "Optional Extra", the 'This way up Sticker'.

BTW - a superbly apt wv:- reideme

subrosa said...

Sympathy Joe? Love the WV though.

Anonymous said...

"Chadder" in estuary English has a meaning 'round here....

subrosa said...

Oops Rightwinggit, I forgot about that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails