Saturday 30 October 2010

Bad Science



'My devoted follower' - I'm so fortunate to have one - Clams Linguini has sent me the link to a video which unfortunately I can't download directly.

The subject is 'Bad science in a good cause is just bad science' and Professor John Davies, Director of the Centre of Applied Pyschology, Strathclyde University, Glasgow, explains his reasons for this statement.

For those who are interested in hearing the words of an eminent academic berating the brainwashing 'charities' - using the anti-smoking government funded organisations as his example - this is 4 minutes well spent.

The video can be viewed here.

9 comments:

Sue said...

Very sensible man. I don't know if his comparison with the gas chambers is a little over the top though (or perhaps I'm too influenced by Political Correctness), it's difficult to tell anymore.

moriduraalt.blogspot.com said...

That video made me sit up and take notice!

Prior to watching it, I might well have defended the practice of exaggerating the risks in a good cause - now I'm convinced it is wrong.

This calm, mild-mannered academic shows that a compelling argument can make its point by being presented in a moderate way.

Thanks, sub-rosa

Peter Curran

Joe Public said...

I wonder if Prof Phil Jones agrees?

subrosa said...

I don't think he was OTT Sue. Remember everything in life starts small.

subrosa said...

Hello Peter. It's my reader who should be thanked for giving me the link. It's certainly a video worth viewing though.

subrosa said...

Pass on that Joe. ;)

Joe Public said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe Public said...

'Bad science in a good cause is just bad science'

I have to disagree with the eminent Professor.

When government grants (our taxes) are handed over for 'research', and the results are fabricated or misrepresented, then that is Fraud.

Crinkly & Ragged Arsed Philosophers said...

Why grace a lie by calling it science?

The smoking ban is no more than a governmental exercise in control. A stretching of the parameters to measure the gullibility of those they control.

We see the effects under the present Government of making the poor pay for the idiocy of the bankers and the total inanity of politicians.

Related Posts with Thumbnails