I am not arachnophobic but it would seem the wife of an Essex man may have a problem with spiders.
She noticed one behind the lavatory in their home on Monday and called her husband. Not being able to reach it, the husband decided to kill it by spraying it with a can.
However, he was unable to see whether it was dead because the bulb in the bathroom light had blown, so he used a cigarette lighter to illuminate the room. The result? Auch surely you can guess. You're right. He ignited the gas fumes from the aerosol and caused an explosion. The blast was so strong it blew him off his feet and lifted the loft door off its hinges.
He suffered flash burns to his head, legs and torso and was rushed by ambulance to hospital after dousing himself with cold water by jumping in the shower.
A firefighter spokesman added, " We're not entirely sure whether the spider got away or not but there was no sign of it at the scene." (I like his style).
You'll be pleased to know the spider-catcher was released from hospital in the early hours of Tuesday morning after treatment. What I'd like to know is how did his wife see the creature if there was no light in the bathroom?