Sunday 4 April 2010

Happy Easter

This was my Dad's favourite Easter hymn sung by his favourite choir. It is an old recording which unfortunately comes to an abrupt end although that does not deflect from the quality of the singing. The music is Belmont (composed by William Gardiner in 1812) and the words were composed by Reginald Heber also in 1812.

Glasgow Orpheus Choir was founded in 1901 by a seventeen year old Hugh Robertson who conducted it for 50 years and disbanded it in 1951.

Some of the choir decided to carry on singing and they founded the Glasgow Pheonix Choir which continues the Orpheus tradition of receiving international acclaim. A few years ago they sang in Dunkeld Cathedral and it was an experience I'll never forget.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mum asked me to thank you for this post. She enjoyed it hugely and then listened to a whole list of the associated youtube clips...

It fair made her afternoon....


Thank you.

subrosa said...

Auch I'm delighted someone got similar pleasure to me Tris. It would have brought back quite a few memories I'm sure.

Amusing Bunni said...

That was just Beautiful, SR! Thanks for posting.
I'm still celebrating Easter, as long as it's spring, nice & rainy here. Brings May Flowers! TTYL

subrosa said...

Thank you Bunni. It's been quite dreich the past couple of days but forecast says it will improve.

Related Posts with Thumbnails