Friday 23 October 2009

A Scottish Innovation




Real nappy campaigners have designed their own tartan to be worn by their babies during Scotland's year of Homecoming.

The fabric, launched last month and modelled above by a trendy toddler in Perth, has officially been registered as the McNappy.

It is part of a nation-wide drive to encourage parents to use real nappies. Currently, eight million disposables are sent to landfill in the UK every day.

Sue Terras of the Perth and Kinross Real Nappy Network, said: "We tried to choose colours that represent the work that we do.

"The pure while is the white cotton fabric and the yellow is the sunshine to dry the nappies.

"We then chose green for the environment, pink for a girl and blue for a boy.

It could well be that those of you of a certain age are wondering why a nappy is made of cotton fabric instead of fine towelling (used to be called terry in my day), which any mother will know is far more absorbent than a plain cotton. Then again many of you may be shaking your head in disbelief.

Good for the Real Nappy Network though, it takes some stamina to develop a new tartan.

As for tartan nappies, if I had toddling grandchildren, I doubt if I'd be taking them through the streets of Dundee or Perth in a tartan nappy. You can call me unpatriotic but I'm only thinking of the child's dignity. Just think of the years later when his/her parents produce the baby photos to their intended...


8 comments:

Jon Lishman said...

Wonderful! :)

subrosa said...

It takes just the little things to make us smile doesn't it denver.

Dark Lochnagar said...

Rosie, you think that's bad. One of my worst childhood experiences was being dragged round the "Barras" in Glasgow along with my younger brother, both of us wearing kilts. I was about 10 or so. It made me the man I am today. They'll need to watch that MaCDonalds don't sue them.

subrosa said...

Erm... DL I feel quite embarrassed now as I can recall a mother kitting out her 2 year old in a kilt, to be worn for Sunday school and special occasions.

Strange woman right enough, but the child has grown into a fine specimen and still wears a kilt on occasion I believe.

Demetrius said...

Our children's nappies started out white, but finished up all sorts of shades. Perhaps because we lived near the gasworks.

Anonymous said...

Perennial question of convenience versus what's best. Unless there's some difference in the convenience of terry nappies, can't see any changes happening. Got to say they do look quite nice (as far as faecal receptacles can).

subrosa said...

I think you're looking too far from home for reasons Demetruis. I'm told human gas emissions are not only scented (?) but coloured.

subrosa said...

BoT, I remember a toddler who hated disposables. Mind you that was back in the 70s but it took a while to work out why. It was the continual rustling which upset them and once they were reinstalled with a terry nappy their smile returned.

Related Posts with Thumbnails