Friday 9 October 2009

Iraq Service of Remembrance



The Iraq Service of Remembrance in St Paul's Cathedral has been broadcast this morning. Attending were the warmongers Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, along with many MPs who voted for this war because they weren't responsible enough to seriously question the word of Tony Blair. Shame on each and every one of them.

The Archbishop of Canterbury had obviously thought long and hard about his sermon and I found the following extract very moving. It would be my desire that these words would pricked the consciences of those who sent our armed forces to Iraq.

"We have begun to forget the realities of cost and when such conflict appeared on the horizon, there were those among the policy makers and commentators who were able to talk about it without really measuring the price - the cost of justice.

"Perhaps we have learned something - if only that there is a time to keep silence. A time to let go of the satisfyingly overblown language that is so tempting for human beings when war is in the air."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not much into people in strange yellow dresses with hellish hats and beards jabbering a pile of stuff... and if it were me or mine then I'd have a real problem with this man having anything to do with remembering me.

But he gets noticed (well you would in bright yellow) and what he says gets noticed, and the fact that he's pretty much slammed it to Blair and Toom has warmed me somewhat to him.

Seriously I'm glad this took place and that the head of state was there along with the prime minister. I welcome it and I hope it brought some sort of comfort.

And at last the government turn up.

I noticed that when 6 Italian soldiers' remains were returned to Rome, the President, Prime Minister, a Cardinal Archbishop and other government and church people were there to pay their respects as the bodies touched down on Italian soil.

It's a pity that Gordon is too busy saving the world to pay the same respects.

BTW, when was it that they started wearing all these bright colours? I remember the peons in black then white once they'd climbed they'd got on. Or is it just that I was watching old films?

subrosa said...

I'm not too acquaint with the practices of the Church of England tris so I could tell you about the garb.

Like you the opinions of the AoC clash with my own ideas often but today I was impressed. He didn't avoid the 'policy makers' as he could well have done.

Really I think this should have been for the military only plus family, friends and Queenie. It angered me seeing these 'policy makers' there. Spineless bunch nearly all of them.

Oh, for English readers, SNP MPs did not support the Iraq war.

Dramfineday said...

And did any one remember Dr Kelly? Was his wife and family invited (as a tacit admission that the estsablishment got it wrong)? Or was she and her family left to grieve in some quiet corner elsewhere out of the view of the warmongers and their supporting ilk?

subrosa said...

Dram, I never heard a mention of Dr Kelly, did you? I watched the whole broadcast too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails