Sunday 20 September 2009

Care Homes - Urgent Action Required



In the past few weeks the whole world has been told Scotland is a compassionate nation. If that is the case, why did almost half of care homes inspected not meet national standards for nutrition?

The Care Commission said it was "concerned" at the high number of complaints it received on this issue. Only concerned? They should be outraged and insisting upon immediate improvements now.

The study analysed inspections of 303 care homes for older people in Scotland in 2006/7 and found that 49% did not meet the National Care Standards in all the five areas regarding nutrition. The researchers found that 85% of care homes had a written food and nutrition policy and 94% said they had access to an NHS dietician.

Some did not provide enough soft, easily chewed food or food with enough energy to stop older people losing weight. 29% did not screen people for the risk of under-nutrition, while 34% did not screen people for dehydration when they came to live in a care home.

Dehydration was the biggest issue, with complaints that people were not encouraged to drink regularly or drinks were out of reach.

It's my belief that complaints would be much higher but many friends and relatives don't see what their elderly relative eats or drinks because visitors are not encouraged around mealtimes and, should their family member have a memory problem, then they won't be capable of telling their visitors about any food or drink worries.

Once upon a time I worked in a care home as part of a healthcare course I was studying. My hours were two evenings after work and the care home was local, set in beautiful grounds and the reception rooms were decorated in the fashion of the day with matching curtains and scatter cushions - I'm sure you know the style.

When I arrived for work (6pm-10pm) I would help with laundry, ironing and anything required of me. My first evening a resident asked me for a cup of coffee so I found the kitchen, spotlessly clean I have to say, and sitting on the corner of a completely empty large stainless steel table was a litre of milk, a packet of digestive biscuits and 6 teabags. In my ignorance I thought this offering was for staff breaks so I asked a colleague if she knew where the coffee was hidden. "Everything's locked up until breakfast when the kitchen staff start," she said. I explained the resident's desire for a coffee and she just laughed and told me to tell him he'll get a cup of tea around 9pm. The items on the kitchen table were left by kitchen staff for that purpose.

So, between 34 residents they had 6 teabags, one litre of milk and one small packet of digestives to last well over 12 hours since the evening meal at 4.30pm.

I complained to the staff that I thought it poor no tea and coffee was available on demand and was told the cost would be excessive, staff didn't have time to be waitresses, plus the elderly shouldn't drink in the evenings as many had continence problems.

Reading this report shows me little seems to have changed in 15 years although the fees will have risen steeply.

Is it any wonder I have no intention of ending my days in one of these places? My arrangement with an M & S carrier bag and a top quality bottle of malt seems even more attractive.

Source: Herald

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is shocking and you are right to contrast it with the admirable sentiments expressed recently by the government and supported by so many people of all political persuasions both famous and unknown.

This is what is in store for so many of us. A distusting quibble over the cost of a few tea bags and digestive biscuits. Geez.

Not only should people be able to get something to eat when they want it, because hunger has no place in Scotland in the 21st century. It's also a question of something to look forward to. I've just been in hospital. A relatively short stay of 2 weeks, but god, it was boring, and you looked forward to a nurse coming round with a cup of coffee and a biscuit. It broke the monotony.

Imagine knowing that you were never getting out; that you were damned to be there until you died, and treated like that.

So many people have no one to speak up for them, and they are the ones likely to be worst treated.

In as much as Kenny MacAskill's decision was a matter of pride, this is a matter of shame.

It's fair to note (and I'm not really making a party political point here) that these figures reflect a time under the Scottish Executive. It may be that things have improved.

If they haven't, then it's time they did, despite the budget constraints forced on us by England.

I'll do the same as you Subrosa, only it will be a Lidl bag in my case... M+S bags are 5p now!

I bet Munguin will have a Fortnum's bag stashed for his demise!

subrosa said...

Afternoon Tris. The story I mentioned was the fault of the home owner. He'd given the instruction to the kitchen staff.

You know young man, that's a super comment -'because hunger has no place in Scotland in the 21st century.'

My short experience of working in that place, plus recent visits to other homes to see friends, just consolidates my plan.

Tris, you get free M & S bags if you buy their knickers or whatever. I've rather a pretty one tucked away and I've checked it for holes before you ask. :)

I'm quite sure Monty has one of two of them stashed around!

Anonymous said...

Ah... knickers again SR....silk? I'm beginning to think it's a bit of a fetish!....

I'll maybe buy some too then, only to get that free bag, ya know!

Yes, seriously, I know that some home owners do the most frightening of things to save a few pense. I've heard (not in Scotland) of drugs being given to quieten them down a bit so that don't want any activities organised. I'd bring back hanging for the likes of these people.

That said, there are very good homes, and shletered housing in Scotland. I visist an ex neighbour in what is called "Very Sheltered Housing", and the people there are just amazing. Understaffed and overworked, nonetheless they do their damndest to ensure that the old people have as much fun as they possibly can in the last years.

My friend couldn't be happier despite the loss of her sister who lived with, last year. Day trips, bingo nights, short breaks.... wonderful. And that's a council run place (Labour council too, until a few months ago!). Not some rich persons' retirement facility.

So bravo to the good ones and let's do something about the bad ones from the niggerdly pocket money afforded us by the Imperial rulers.

McGonagall said...

In the town where I live incontinent residents at the local, government run, nursing home are rationed to one nappy per day.

A bottle of Cognac and a bottle of pills will ensure me some dignity at the end.

Witterings from Witney said...

SR,

As someone whose mother is in a care home, in Hungerford, a few comments:

This care home, council run, is beyond praise as far as the care, food, tea/coffee on demand and staff are concerned. I cannot fault them and when one considers the pittance they receive in pay, it becomes even more remarkable.

What does annoy and frustrate me is the health and safety culture which governs what they can and cannot do.

Recently, as the result of a complaint I made, the council have amended some of their 'procedures' regarding the care they provide and the methods involved, especially on 'consulting' the next of kin.

My mother, for example, has now started to have difficulty getting out of a chair - so what happens is the staff have to get a hoist. This my mother finds degrading and when one considers that she only weighs 7 stone and two care workers - weighing 12 stone each - cannot just slip an arm under each of my mother's armpits and help her up, it beggars belief! When questioned the response was h&s 'rules' as we are not allowed to 'strain our backs'.

To register my power of attorney and also to extend this to cover her health and well-being is costing me the princely sum of £1500 plus vat!

Don't you just love bureacracy?

subrosa said...

That doesn't surprise me scunnert but isn't it bluddy disgusting in this day and age?

subrosa said...

WfW, the council run homes here are by far the best but many of them have been sold to the private sector over recent years.

How sad to hear about your Mum. Have you thought about buying her one of these chairs which tilt to allow her to stand? A friend of mine has one and it's the best buy she's ever made she says. If I remember she had problems finding one which was quality and really effective though.

No I don't love bureacracy WfW. If it protected us then fine, all it does it fill Treasury coffers for lords and ladies (I'm being kind) to use as petty cash.

subrosa said...

I don't know about fetish Tris, but a necessity definitely. Silk's ok but French are ones for a feeling of 'poshness'. I don't know if you'd suit French knickers but if you wear boxers then perhaps there would be little difference. :)

As I said to WfW, council run places are by far the best but they're expensive and that's why councils have been selling them off. There are very few left in Perthshire now - 20 years ago there were very few private ones and they were usually nursing homes.

I don't know what the government can do to ensure these private homes up their standards. It's well known that they put on a good performance for inspectors, but then they are given warning of these. Perhaps all inspections should be anonymous.

Why on earth these places (and I include schools in this) are notified of inspections I have no idea. I would have thought that an inspection is just that - in the army inspections are random and that keeps standards high.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree SR. I can't think of any reasons why inspections shouldn't be unannounced.

Hum. I'll let you know about the French ones.... later... OK? ;-)

subrosa said...

That's fine Tris. Remember, always buy slightly larger than necessary. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails