Thursday 23 July 2009

Rory Bremner - The Hippo Caller



Herald headline - 'Rory Bremner makes a big impression on new hippos'. When I read that last night I thought it said '... new hippies' and would be worth a read this morning.

Now I discover it's nothing to do with hippies, new or used, but to do with Rory Bremner's amazing ability to imitate sounds - be it the voice of Gordon Brown or the call of a hippo.

His wife has created three life-size bronze hippos which are now pride of place in the curling pond at Myres Castle in Auchtermuchty. She wanted to show the males' highly aggressive nature and their internal tusks but found it difficult to get a hippo to open its mouth. Her husband came up trumps by impersonating their call during visit to Kenya and she was able to take photographs and do drawings.

I wonder if the public will be able to view these extraordinary creatures at Myres Castle? I for one would pay a small sum for the pleasure. A recording of Rory Bremner's hippo call in the background would be the icing on the cake.

4 comments:

Oldrightie said...

I'd settle for the roar of joy that would greet an election defeat of great magnitude for Jimmy.

subrosa said...

I'm sure you would OR and I'm also fairly sure Bremner will be honing his DC impersonation.

All set for the Norwich result? Feeling confident?

subrosa said...

Kille you perhaps know the atmosphere there, I'm not privvy to it here. The broadcast on iPlayer wouldn't run for me either.

Oldrightie said...

All set for the Norwich result? Feeling confident?

I would feel more confidence if the ballot boxes were not to be left overnight in a dark room. Shades of Glenrothes?

Related Posts with Thumbnails