Monday 27 July 2009

The Lockerbie Case - The Waiting Game



I confess to being an ignoramus in matters legal, but notification of this, written by Robert Black, QC FRSE, was brought to my attention by one of my kind readers. Mr Black's blog is concerned with the Lockerbie case and the complex legalities.

There has been discussion in the press about recent developments in the case and the fact that the Scottish Government have to make a decision. I quote the conclusion in order to whet your appetite to read it all.

However, there is another course of action open to the Scottish Government, if Ministers have the strength of will and character to withstand the pressure of civil servants assiduously punting the prisoner transfer option. That course of action is compassionate release. This would enable Megrahi to be freed on licence and return to Libya. His appeal would run to its natural conclusion. If he died before the appeal court reached its decision, the appeal could be transferred to his executor or any person having a legitimate interest.

The Scottish public interest demands nothing less than that the concerns over Megrahi’s conviction be ventilated fully in court. Compassionate release provides the only mechanism whereby this can be achieved alongside the humanitarian goal of allowing him to die at home. Have Scottish Ministers the wisdom and the courage to embrace it?

12 comments:

Goodnight Vienna said...

I have to confess SR that I haven't followed this all the way through but one thing is certain: one man was not solely responsible. I don't think the true perpetrators/'masterminds' have been brought before a Court; they were shielded by Gaddafi. Likewise, the murder of WPC Yvonne Fletcher has never been solved.

Gaddafi was recently invited to address the General Assembly in New York - talk about a turnaround. His sudden rehabilitation & reconciliation with the West might have something to do with this: Oil companies fighting for Libyan oil rights.

I think the whole sorry saga stinks - but you know how I hate to be cynical ;)

Here's another link about Brown meeting Gaddafi earlier this month where he 'discussed' Lockerbie and Yvonne Fletcher with Gaddafi but it is a BBC news report!

Oldrightie said...

It's a weird set of circumstances and I'm amazed EU law allows him to remain where he is. I'm very much with GV, here.

Vronsky said...

Quite simply, Megrahi is innocent. There's a piece by Tam Dalyell here, and a more detailed analysis here (am I your first poster to give a link to the Jerusalem Post, sr?). The bombing was apparently in revenge for the shooting down by USS Vincennes of an Iranian Airbus, killing 290 people, many on pilgrimage to Mecca. The gun crew responsible were subsequently decorated - it's a funny old world.

I can answer that question 'Have Scottish ministers the wisdom and the courage....'. No, of course not.

subrosa said...

I admit to becoming so confused with the initial legal proceedings GV that I switched off a little. Two and two didn't make four for me but then, I have no knowledge of such complex legalities so really I speak as a total layman.

I would agree with your cynicism though. :)

subrosa said...

Aye it's a strange world we live in isn't it OR. Prisoners who have murdered their fellow men get paid compensation for 'slopping out' and only one man is convicted of the Lockerbie bombing.

subrosa said...

I think you are the first person to post a link to the Jerusalem Post Vronsky. Congratulations to you.

With regard to your answer I would like to think you weren't right, but I feel you are for no reason at all.

MekQuarrie said...

Megrahi was clearly not the bomber, but being in Libyan intelligence he must always have seen himself as a 'soldier' and might one day have to die for the advancement of his Islamic Republic. I don't believe 'justice' = how bad we feel about holding on to a prisoner. If he dies tomorrow, the appeal can still go ahead. (A number of pardons have been given posthumously over the years.)

McGonagall said...

Someone once said: "Justice is not a verdict but a process." Well the process in this case was flawed so, as we'll never get to the truth on this, let the man go home.

subrosa said...

It's all rather above my head Mek, but I think there were and are too many fingers in too many pies.

subrosa said...

Scunnert indeed. He should have been allowed when diagnosed. Prostate cancer when it's gone into the bone is a most awful death. I've witnessed it.

Thankfully, and I hope it's true, his close family have been living in Glasgow for some years now so see him every day.

Eddie said...

It would appear that there are in what we term our 'democratic' and 'free' society, groups and individuals who are accountable to no-one. We are surrounded by liars, hypocrites and those who say they follow the rule of law, while doing whatever they damn well like if the desired result is the conclusion they would seek.

It is absolutely clear, to even the most docile, that we have an innocent man languishing in a Scottish Prison, put there by individuals who have performed every deceitful illegal manoeuvre available, manipulated the due course of Law, suppressed vital and legitimate evidence and capitulated to the subterfuge of international Politics and Governments - all paid for by the UK taxpayer.

subrosa said...

Thanks Eddie. Interesting website, I'll continue to read it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails