Tuesday 16 June 2009

The Playboy Prince Continues his Jaunts at Taxpayers' Expense



Prince Andrew, known as the Playboy Prince in some circles, charged the taxpayer £2,000 to attend a champagne reception at one of his favourite golf clubs. He stayed around 42 minutes. His preferred mode of transport to do the 226 mile round trip from his home in Windsor to the exclusive Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club in Deal, Kent, was private helicopter.

The cost of a return train ticket from Windsor to the golf club would have been £30.70 and he would have arrived in time for the function. Alternatively, it would have taken around two and a half hours to drive the 113 miles from Windsor to the club. Only last week the Sunday Mail revealed how Andrew spent an estimated £60,000 of public money to charter a private jet for a four day trop to Azerbaijan.

Recently Jack Straw exempted the Royal Family from Freedom of Information requests. We pay over £500,000 for 24 hour security personnel for his two daughters because Andrew insisted.

Isn't it time we insisted this squandering of our money stops? It will continue as look as we decide to ignore it. I'm sure many of us could make an endless list of sensible uses of £2,000 of public money. Paying for the lifestyle of the Royals wouldn't be on mine.

17 comments:

Oldrightie said...

If he were to cease to exist would anyone, other than his family, notice?

subrosa said...

Only the taxpayers OR.

MekQuarrie said...

Entirely agree with you today SR. Official business is one thing (all of which should be FoI'able) where we can demand value for money. But networking with his mates? I'm sure he could afford to pay for it himself if he absolutely, positively had to take the trip by helicopter.

subrosa said...

Jings Mek, I've marked our concensus on the calendar. :)

Cate Munro said...

I love the Queen but the likes of randy Andy and his wanton extravagances piss me off. I see his daughters are well and truly following in his footsteps!
Outrageous!

brownlie said...

Tory Poppins,

I'm sure your love for her would be reciprocated if she knew you as well as we do. I do think, however, that if her parasitic family want to go and enjoy themselves they should do as my children do and raid their parent's pockets. This idea of something for nothing should be confined to politicians.

Anonymous said...

I can't for the life of me undersand why the English Justice Minister feels in a position to exempt members of the royal family from the FoI Act.

What on earth is that about?

Can I apply to Kenny McCaskill for me to be exempted? No, I thought not.

Andrew is some sort of joke. He should be required to use the cheapest reasonable form of transport. So, too should his big brother and his "wife" Mrs Parker Bowles. The money these people cost us is just beyond belief.

By comparison, I understand that the Queen and her husband are relativly frugal with our money.

Munguin said...

All of these parasites should be swept away and made to find some useful employment that does not involve sponging off everybody else. Price Andrew is particularly repulsive and his totally useless daughters are shaping up the same way. Nevertheless I think they should all go, this is the 21st Century and nobody should be in a position to set themselves up as better than everybody else just because of the fact of their birth. The fact that these people do not realise that says everything about their usefulness.

Startled Leafletter said...

He should pay for this out of his own fortune. Greedy bugger is no different to the MPs with their fingers in the till.

brownlie said...

Goodness, that's some size of a golf-trolley he's got there.

subrosa said...

I think there will be changes once the Queen gives up the throne Munguin, I certainly hope so. It's my generation who will be hardest to persuade.

subrosa said...

He gets a lot more than a greedy MP SL. £500,000+ a year for his playgirl daughters for starters.

subrosa said...

Good one brownlie! Right enough lol.

subrosa said...

Tris I can't remember that being part of the FOI debate in Westminster can you? Possible was just Brown stamped.

Anonymous said...

No, SR. I don't remember there being any discussion about it. The English Justice Secretary simple seems to have decided it, presumably using Royal Prerogative, ironically.

Jess The Dog said...

I heard from a number of convincing sources that Randy Andy was not particularly well-regarded in his namesake Service (the Royal Navy is known as "The Andrew" after an infamous press-ganger)unlike Charles, who occasionally made gifts of beer-crates for the ratings during his time at Dartmouth.

subrosa said...

Doesn't surprise me Jess. I heard, after the Falklands, many of the lads were peed off with him nipping up into the skies for his photo shoot then nipping into the safe zone. His henchmen also created some irritation if I remember.

Related Posts with Thumbnails