Saturday 23 May 2009

The Last of the Line



The last ATM run off at the NCR factory took place in Dundee this week with a hand-written epitaph stating 'End of 63 years of manufacturing in NCR Dundee.  Last ARM built 20/5/09'.

The first ATM rolled off the production line in the year I was born but in those days NCR was still thought of as a major producer of cash registers.  Like Timex, it had a world-wide reputation and employed generations of Dundonians.

The decision to stop production was taken two years ago and the factory has been slowly run down.  NCR still has several hundred employees working in research and development in the city but there has also been a question mark over the security of those jobs in recent weeks.

NCR will now be consigned to the history books along with Keillors, the jute mills and the like. Sometimes I wonder if such closures are absolutely necessary, but we live in a world where chasing the money is paramount.


12 comments:

Oldrightie said...

A reflection of our UK wide murder of manufacturing and jobs by Labour. So much for"doing everything", lying, evil man.

CrazyDaisy said...

SR,

What a sorry state of affairs for Dundee, I agree with OR, liar liar pants on fire.

Hope you have a great weekend it's a hot one here, but I'd rather be at home!

Crazy D

RantinRab said...

My town has nothing left in it. It used to have factories for Saxone shoes, BMK carpets, Massey Ferguson tractors and locomotive works etc. Nothing left, apart from a much reduced Johnnie Walker whisky operation.

subrosa said...

Aye OR, he sold NCR out cheaply. Two years ago they broke business rules and labour didn't say a word. Barstewards.

subrosa said...

Rab, there's very little anywhere that I can see. At least Dundee has the medical research and the computer design and games business but that's just about all that's left.

RantinRab said...

Years ago i was talking to a older guy in the pub. We got onto the subject of work and he proudly told me he used to be a shop steward at Chryslers in Linwood.
He went on to tell me about a strike because one worker got caught sleeping on the job during a nightshift. He instigated the walk out and he was proud of it!
I nearly dragged him outside to give him a hiding.
It's 'cos of guys like him that my generation work in shops and call centres. The tool.

brownlie said...

subrosa

I've got an official Labour election leaflet here and it says:

"Labour is doing everything we can to save jobs, keep businesses afloat and get Scotland back on track."

"Labour is working hard for Scottish people nationally and in Europe to ensure no one is left behind".

Do you have any idea if Labour did "everything to save jobs and keep businesses afloat" in this instance?

Does "no one is left behind" actually mean that factories are closed and no workers are left behind?

Unfortunately the leaflet was dropped off by a "delivery" man instead of an activist who could be challenged on these claims.

One of the candidates is listed as a "David Martin" - I wonder if ...

PS: I've sent you the e-mails as requested.

subrosa said...

Unions have a lot to answer for in my opinion Rab. I fell foul of one union leader 30 years ago and it certainly opened my eyes to the fact that they weren't there to protect anyone but themselves.

subrosa said...

Brownlie I'll go and check my email now.

subrosa said...

I've replied Brownlie so look in your spam folder if you don't see it.

Idle Pen Pusher said...

"Sometimes I wonder if such closures are absolutely necessary, but we live in a world where chasing the money is paramount."

I couldn't help but smile at this being about cash machines!

subrosa said...

Ah IPP, I wondered if anyone else would smile. I did too when I reread it. Not often I smile at my writing I assure you :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails