Sunday 10 May 2009

A Defence for Alex Salmond



Just a few minutes ago I left a comment on Jeff's blog where he had posted on Alex Salmond's food claim as a Westminster MP.  As far as I can gather Mr Salmond's only response has been the weak excuse that "The claims for food allowances were entirely in accordance with the Green Book rules at the time."  Has every MP been sent a memo instructing them to continually chant this mantra?  Can I tell them it's not working, the public aren't fools and we need to see some honest conversation from our representatives as to why they claimed the amounts quoted in the press.

I digress.  Alex Salmond claimed £800 for food while the Westminster parliament was in recess.  That works out at around £100 a week if my sums are right.  Constituencies in the north of Scotland are much larger areas than those in the central belt and I don't think for a minute he had 8 weeks holiday because Westminster was closed.  It's far more likely he was doing his duty as an MP and MSP with perhaps a one week break. He likes curries - we all know that.  £100 would buy 3 good curry meals in my excellent local Indian restaurant.  

Of course he should be paying for his own meals, every MP should but that's not the point.  We, the public, have condoned this expenses system for MPs and it's only now we're realising many claims border on fraud.

But should the FM, in his capacity of MP, be pilloried for spending £100 a week when not at Westminster?  I say definitely not.  His claim during the recess was far more valid than any claim he made when in London. Westminster has numerous restaurants which all provide excellent food at highly subsidised prices.  If MPs don't want to eat there when they are in attendance, they shouldn't be able to claim any food allowance unless they are staying in a hotel and do not own or rent property in London.  A minimal daily subsistence allowance ( say £20) should be permitted for any days they are away from Westminster on constituency duties.

This is no excuse for Alex Salmond's food claim but it is a sensible reason.  Let's not pillory a man for liking  3 curries a week when he's working his socks off for Scotland, while Gordon Brown lives in a grace and favour luxury home and the public pay for his North Queensferry home which, for some reason, is still only in his name rather than the standard joint names when couples are married.  Of course he gave his wife the gift of his London pad only days before coming PM because "she had no income of her own."  And there's the present chancellor who can't decide where he lives...

24 comments:

naldo said...

I don't think the Westiminster expenses scandal is a party political matter. All those snouts are in the trough. MPs have for far too long voted on/manipulated their own rates of salery and system of paying and regulating expenses. It's high time that pish stopped.

And i think it's high time Alex Salmond resigned his seat at Westminster. It's an utter disgrace that he takes a salary for a job that he clearly doesnae do.

Cut the Westminster crap,Eck, and get on with governing Scotland. It would be good for Scotland and you'd look good doing it. And you really dinnae need the cash.

And let's be frank, the SNP would romp home in that Westminster bye-election.

Anonymous said...

After what they've done - they should be ordered to make their own pack lunches and picnic on the grass outside in full view of the TV reporters.

Now that is justice!

Administrator said...

Although Salmond has said, he'll stand down as a Westminster MP at the next election, when Brown has to finally call it, I for one would rather he stayed on as an MP to lead the transition team through Parliamentary negotiations leading to a wholly independent Scotland. If expectations go according to plan and polls, the SNP will have 20 plus MP's in Westminster. Having Salmond as lead negotiator of a solid block of MPs surely makes sense. I know he won't and in Hosie, Robertson, Weir, Wishart and Mason he has a capable and united team. I'd just prefer him there.

subrosa said...

Good idea CB but the cry would be that so many staff from the tea rooms and restaurants would lose their jobs. The food in these places is second to none. Someone posted a menu from one of the restaurants just a couple of weeks ago and I can't find it.

subrosa said...

Interesting point Monty and I would agree but the team you mention have had good training so I think they'll manage. None have the expertise though and AS is certainly feared in some parts of the green benches.

Nikostratos said...

The MPs done wrong Alex is an MP he done wrong whats to defend?

Or is it a case of he is a snp First Minister so lets turn a blind eye.
definitely work with the Nationalist's as for the rest of the electorate..probably not

subrosa said...

Ah Niko I was expecting a comment like that from you. The title is a defence FOR not OF. Get it? Now go and read it again.

Indy said...

I don't think he can claim for his own food - the irony is that he was probably wining and dining the press who are now slagging him off for it.

No wonder there is talk of a backlash against the Torygraph. Who is going to buy journalists their lunch now? They may even have to put it on their own expenses!

MekQuarrie said...

Mr S should claim for security expenses (a la Barbara Follett) after Mike (Let's-Get-Ready-To) Rumbles launched an unprovoked physical assault on him in the Scottish Parliament building last week...

Nikostratos said...

Subrosa

to sophisticated an argument for me(and most other I'll be bound)
still Mr Salmond star has lost a little of it's lustre.

CrazyDaisy said...

SR,

I know he likes a drink my mither aye tells mi that he has boxes o "Fuskie" delivered to Strichen weekly!

Yet another eeejit saying that Salmond draws twa salaries, I winnae explain I'll jist leave him tae his ignirance!

CD

Anonymous said...

I'm just disappointed. I wanted the SNP to be whiter than white. I expected it and I've been let down. I was leafletting on Saturday dreading someone asking me about the expenses.

However, compared with the likes of Moran, Blears, Smith Woolass and the rest of these slimey gits, Alex has done very very little.

subrosa said...

Indy you may well be right. But being Alex Salmond he'll never give up trying to convince these people. The tide will turn eventually.

subrosa said...

Oh Mek, he's a man nae a moose lol.

subrosa said...

Tell me what Fuskie is CD, excuse my ignorance :)

subrosa said...

Oh dear Niko, it's not a sophisticated, surely not. All I've written is my opinion on the subject.

subrosa said...

I understand tris and I'm sure many wanted the SNP to come out of this bleach white. Problem is that when an allowance is available being humans we'll take it.

Truthfully I think this is a storm in a teacup compared with what's to come. I'll be interested to see the expenses of Jim Murphy and the labour MPs.

naldo said...

Crazy Daisy, i hate to be ignorant so please explain about wee Eck and his yin salary.

If he's only drawing one (plus dodgy expense claims), fair play to the man (sort of).

He should still stand down and let someone else do the job at Westminster.

And Monty, your suggestion that Eck Sam needs to be an MP after the next election is frightening in its implication that there isnae the talent elsewhere to organise an SNP cabal.

At least you've highlighted one of my main issues with the SNP - it's scary cult of the personality of Lexie Salmond.

CrazyDaisy said...

SR,

It's Doric for Whisky!

CD

subrosa said...

Ah I see CD, I learn something every day :)

naldo said...

Aye but what about the great yin/twa salaries mystery?

Please elighten me. Someone.

Administrator said...

Naldo, Salmond's not a cult. That's David Maddox, remember.

naldo said...

Teeheehee. Good shout, Montague.

subrosa said...

Tut tut Monty :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails