Saturday 2 May 2009

BBC's Selection Process Questioned



It’s not often I read George Pitcher’s blog in the Telegraph, but this title interested me ‘Are the BBC’s top jobs a stitchup?’


It appears there is a very real fear that the BBC will appoint Aaqil Ahmed, currently commissioning editor for religion at Channel 4, to the much more demanding equivalent position of the re-structured Religion department at the Corporation.  George Pitcher repeats : ‘He is not opposed because he’s a Muslim.  He’s opposed because he’s not up to the BBC job, his woeful documentary series on the history of Christianity at Channel 4 being the most regularly cited example of his lightweightedness.’


There is more to the story as you can read In Pitcher's initial post and his post today, but I agree the History of Christianity was a poor series which I switched off when Cherie Blair appeared on the screen explaining modern Christianity.



The BBC has some questions to answer if “friends” of Ahmed have been saying the job is as good as his especially when, during its formal recruitment process for the post Michael Wakelin, formerly head of Religion and Ethics at the BBC, applied for the job and was humiliatingly rejected according to Pitcher.  This is one BBC appointment I’ll watch closely.


8 comments:

Vronsky said...

I'm really struggling here to care who the BEEB puts in charge of its hocus-pocus shows. Although it's a pity Tommy Cooper's dead.

subrosa said...

Ah Vronsky I like that! Hocus pocus it may be but to certain people it's life itself. Therein lies the problem.

Anonymous said...

Top jobs at the BBC, reportedly, go to people working for the security services (not necessarily the UK security services). Was it Philby or Burgess who worked for the BBC?- Aangirfan

subrosa said...

I'm not sure aangirfan and can't find definite evidence after a quick google, but they did have links to high offices, especially Philby. If I had to make a choice then I'd say he had connections with the BBC.

Faux Cu said...

If Tony and Cherie are into it, I am out; keys!

How come we don't have a humanist Head of etc?

Why is the Pope always a Carflik, is that not religious discrimination?

Why do penguins have no knees?

Why is there only one Monopoly Commission?

Why do bottles of good have to end so soon?

Night all!

subrosa said...

In this modern world I would agree a humanist perspective on religious issues would be appropriate for some. Myself I prefer the UK and Scotland's main religion to be christian. That is how the UK has survived until now plus of course with the help of other minority religions.

Now I belief Islam is no longer thought as a minority religion in my country but a main player, much to my disapproval.

Wrinkled Weasel said...

I would like to agree with you about this, but the irony comes from the fact that the BBC is credulous about Muslim fundamentalism and does not see that the appointment of a Muzzie to head of religious programming would bite them on the bum big-time.

Hitherto, the BBC religious department has been populated by those whose belief beggars belief. As someone who was involved in religious programming years ago, and who had discussions with the head of religious programming, one became aware that the level of actual commitment to Christian values was risible.

The BBCs religious output has always been vacuous and secular. The appointment of a real believer, Muslim or whatever, would scare the shit out of them.

subrosa said...

Thanks for your contribution WW and it's really good to hear the opinion of someone who has been near the epicentre.

I've never been impressed by the BBC's religious programmes with perhaps the odd exception, but this article had so many ambiguities that I felt the need to see if someone could enlighten me. You have just done so; I thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails