Wednesday 15 April 2009

Are We Born with Talent?


Mozart - a child prodigy

A neighbour stopped for a wee blether while I was pottering around in the garden a while ago. "My you've definitely got green fingers," she said and it was a lovely compliment but I don't have green fingers, my gardening skills have been gleaned from true gardeners who are more than willing to pass on tips to those who want to try.  It's hard work for me to 'see' my garden as others see it and every year, it's certainly more by luck than judgement that in summer it looks acceptable.

That brings me to my question about talent.  The older I become the more I'm convinced we're all born with talents which either remain hidden all our lives or are exposed by someone who saw our potential with certain skills.  Usually it's in our childhood when adult influences reign supreme and we absorb information like a sponge.  In my case I was brought up by parents who both had an interest in music. My father's interest encompassed anything from 'light' opera to the Beatles, my mother mocked him regularly as she had an obsessive interest in classical music and was, I may add, an excellent violinist.  Unfortunately she channelled her interest into teaching and wasn't a success.  You see she didn't like children, not even her own, but teaching was the career for women back in the late 50s and if you passed your highers it was the only choice recommended.  No career advisors in those days other than your teachers and family.

As you can guess we were then expected to follow in her footsteps and at a very young age I was sent to piano lessons and taught the violin by her.  I didn't like either instrument much but I'm grateful I did learn piano because it taught me the language of music.  Finally at the age of 8 my father persuaded her to allow me to learn the cello and the reason I did was down to the then Director of Education in Dundee, Jimmy Easson, who was a most far-sighted man.  He insisted that every child was offered the chance to play a musical instrument free of charge and I jumped at the chance of this tuition. My whole childhood (and my brother's) was so immersed in the classical music world we had little time for any other activities.  For reasons I won't go into I never played my cello again from the minute I left home although I think I was a reasonable cellist and that was all due to my mentor and teacher Bert Brown.  My brother on the other hand still has his band where he plays clarinet and saxophone even though he's knocking at the door of 70.  Both of us had a talent for music and I should like to think I still do.  One thing I do on occasion is attend a concert where I can decide to listen to a particular section.  For example if I want to listen only to the violas for some reason I can 'home in' on them and put the rest of the orchestra to the background of my mind.  Useless skill right enough and I was never taught to do it, but it gives me some pleasure and I've done it for fun since I was a wee lass.

Now, if you've managed to read this far, I do think great politicians are born with the talent and good ones learn it in later life.  In the Scottish political scene Alex Salmond springs to mind and also Nicola Sturgeon but not forgetting Malcolm Rifkind, the late Robin Cook and John Smith.  These are some who I feel have/had 'political souls'.  Of course there are many good politicians in the Scottish Parliament but there are many mediocre ones too.  I very much hope when we're independent some more 'political souls' appear on the scene. 

Right, back to the garden and more learning by trial and error.

10 comments:

Vronsky said...

I think you mean 'prodigy', sr. A friend of mine says that Mozart was born - and died - a child prodigy. He considers his music frothy and immature.

subrosa said...

Thanks Vronsky, I've amended that. Head in the soil today.

In some ways I like Mozart's music but I do prefer many others depending on my mood. I loved playing Beethoven for example, I mean as part of an orchestra. Mahler too held a certain fascination for me but only certain pieces. Handel's organ works are second to none. Oh I won't go on as I'll bore you further.

McGonagall said...

I love music and painting, but grew up in a family where these were considered alright as hobbies but dismissed as possible careers. I did teach myself guitar and tin whistle and had some formal training in painting. I continue to enjoy playing and painting for my own pleasure, but wonder what I could have achieved with some encouragement.

On the other hand I had an uncle who wanted to be a visual artist - he was apprenticed as an electrician instead. When he was in his early twenties he emigrated to Chicago and became a successful artist and an accomplished jazz guitarist.

So perhaps what was missing in my case was a lack of commitment to my "art"?

Key bored warrior. said...

Mozart music is reputed to have healing properties, and is my classical music of choice when I feel the need for mental soothing, in particular his violin concertos, soothes the addled brain.

Rosie I can just see you with your cello between your knees in your beautiful garden on a sunny summer evening, go on ;o)

subrosa said...

KW I know all the jokes about cellos, the worst one being from bus passengers when I was young. "You'll no get that under yer chin lassie" still doesn't make me smile ;)

Baron's Life said...

C'est La Vie my friends...we will never know the answer...for the answer my friend, the answer my friend, The answer is blowing in the wind...

subrosa said...

True Baron, but I still think certain people are born with a natural ability in certain skills. Bit like you and your bikes :-)

Key bored warrior. said...

Rosie what makes you think I was joking ;o)

Unknown said...

Were Mozart, Beethoven, Poussin, Puccini, Degas to be born today, they would be diagnosed with ADD/Autistic Spectrum Disorders and dosed to the eyeballs with Ritalin to make them 'normal'.
One wonders how many geniuses/potential prodigies may be out there whose talents are being submerged by mind-flattening drugs. It seems that originality is perceived as a disease, these days.

subrosa said...

How accurate Mara. Thank you so much for that. I was tempted to put that exact opinion in the post but thought I'd wait and see if anyone mentioned it. (Also I was writing it in a rush as is obvious).

There are many numbed by chemicals today Mara, in fact I'm sure too many to count. How sad our society has been reduced to this. As I say, back in the 50s I had free instrumental lessons. If anyone suggested that today it would be jumped on from a great height.

Isn't it strange that when the country was nearly bankrupt money could be found in Dundee to improve children's futures and yet today, after years of prosperity, the very idea is mocked?

Auch Mara, I don't have to explain to you, we read the same books.

Related Posts with Thumbnails