Wednesday 17 June 2009

The Latest Stealth Tax



Only 50p a month says this blogger. It's not the money it's the principle which causes me ire.

Many younger people don't use a landline and their communications are done through mobile phones, Skype and various other technology. That's fine and I'm pleased they are comfortable with that.

But for many people of my generation and older, the landline telephone is still thought of as a luxury item and only to be used when absolutely necessary. It is also regarded as a vital lifeline. I well remember when my parents had their first telephone installed and the excitement it created. My grandmother refused to have one because she just didn't believe it was possible to speak to someone miles away, so we arranged for her to visit us. She had to whisper something secret in my ear and I ran off to the local phone box, rang my parents' number and told my granny what she'd just said. All for 3d (3 old pence worth about nothing now). Granny caved in and the telephone was installed in her front room on a smart table at the side of the piano. She seldom heard it ringing because she only used that room on hay days and holidays, but it was there for all her friends to see when they visited. That was important.

The excuse given for this new tax is that Britain needs rewired to provide speedier broadband all over the land. There have been reports in recent weeks, that Britain is slipping behind the rest of Europe with regard to internet connection speeds but 50p a month from every landline won't pay for a total rewire. Of course there will be lots of benefits to government and their associates.

I'm tempted to do away with my landline but I still think it's a luxurious necessity (if there is such a thing) and to be honest, I don't think I have the courage to make the break. Many people will also have packages involving internet, telephone and perhaps television and it won't be worth their while for 50p a month. The problem is I know that this is just the beginning of this tax, it will increase quietly as all these taxes do.

But will the inhabitants of places like the Hebrides benefit? I would like to think so but I very much doubt the likes of islanders are of importance to Gordon Brown. This new policy involves an attempt to win back these labour voters who left the fold at the European elections. When will he realise taxing them more isn't going to impress them in the least.

2 comments:

Great Big Billygoat Gruff said...

Another day, another initiative, another headline another vain hope of diverting the people from the monstrous cockup that Broon is.

Doesn't work any more does it.

We are on him like a tonne of bricks, faster than the MSM.

subrosa said...

We've just got to keep at it Billy. Let's not get worn down by the lies which cause frustration at times.

Related Posts with Thumbnails